90 Miles From Tyranny : Vegan Hit Girlfriend with Bottle Because She Came Home Smelling of Bacon

infinite scrolling

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Vegan Hit Girlfriend with Bottle Because She Came Home Smelling of Bacon







A “reclusive” vegan who beat his girlfriend with a glass vinegar bottle because she “smelled of bacon” has been sentenced to a community order after pleading guilty to assault.

Christopher Ellam, 22, pleaded guilty at Kirklees Magistrates’ Court to two counts of criminal damage, sending indecent or grossly-offensive messages, and assault by beating of his girlfriend of four years, Bethany Smith, 23.

Miss Smith had told the court that she and Mr Ellam had started out as friends before becoming romantically involved in 2015. At the time, Mr Ellam was neither a vegetarian nor a vegan. Eventually, the couple moved in together in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

During the relationship, Mr Ellam then became a fanatical vegan — eschewing all animal products — with Miss Smith telling the court her then-boyfriend pressured her into becoming a vegan, as well, according to comments reported in the MailOnline on Sunday.

“He became completely set on the idea. He told me bluntly: ‘If you’re not going vegan, I’ll break up with you,'” she said.

The domestic abuse survivor described a controlling and destructive relationship, where Mr Ellam cut up his then-girlfriend’s clothes, and harshly criticised her for eating one cheese and onion crisp, with cheese being forbidden in veganism.

Miss Smith described her ex-boyfriend as “reclusive”, and said that “he barely left the flat”, meaning that the couple were dependent on the money the young woman earnt working at her step-father’s cafe in nearby Halifax.


Smith told the court: “During the week I helped out by waitressing, doing the washing up, working the till and serving customers. I enjoyed the job, interacting with people, and it gave me some time away from Christopher.

‘But when I got home from a shift one evening, Christopher was raging. He snapped and told me I ‘smelt of meat’.

“I assured him it was because I’d been in the cafe around food all day, but he launched into a...

Read More HERE

3 comments:

Mike said...

Both of them are mentally ill. They deserve each other.

Noor al Haqiqa said...

My daughter has been vegan for almost 20 yrs now. Her mate is not. They cook meals together except each is responsible for their own proteins. That is all there is to it. She is a gracious woman and always found that the hosts were often more awkward than she. It just is not an issue even though it is an issue.
Daughter: Miss Bad Ass Vegan
https://badassvegan.com/2012/10/22/miss-september-2012/

Anonymous said...

I've suddenly got the urge for a BLT. I can cook the bacon in the lunchroom microwave. With lettuce and tomato an a little mayo, it sounds delicious. Maybe I'll have BLT's for lunch every day for a couple of weeks. I can smell the bacon from here...