90 Miles From Tyranny : Jif peanut butter recalled over suspected Salmonella outbreak that has hospitalized two people

infinite scrolling

Sunday, May 22, 2022

Jif peanut butter recalled over suspected Salmonella outbreak that has hospitalized two people

© FDA The recall affects Jif products made at its Lexington, Kentucky factory. FDA


This hit my preps hard as JIF is my go to peanut butter.  I'm pretty sure I already ate an entire 40 ounce jar that was in the recall (no affects). I have marked all my Jars with "Recalled" and I am keeping them. I won't eat them unless the choice is between them and starvation. Zeitgeist. - Mike

Some Jif peanut butter products have been recalled after a suspected Salmonella outbreak.

The outbreak at Jif's Kentucky factory has affected 12 states and hospitalized two people.
The FDA and CDC said the peanut butter should be thrown away and surfaces sanitized.

Jif is recalling some peanut butter products following suspected Salmonella contamination that has hospitalized two people.

A Food and Drug Administration filing showed Jif' owner, J.M. Smucker, initiated a voluntary recall of several products containing the contaminated peanut butter manufactured at its Lexington, Kentucky facility.

Twelve states including New York, Georgia and Texas have reported cases of Salmonella linked to the peanut butter, with 14 illnesses and 2 people being hospitalized.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) said many types and sizes were recalled, including creamy, crunchy, natural, and reduced fat, and that four of five sick people reported eating different types of Jif brand peanut butter before becoming ill.

The FDA said the recalled products have the lot code numbers between 1274425 and 2140425, only if the first seven digits end with 425, indicating they were manufactured at the factory. Any containing this code should be thrown out, the FDA said.

"Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain," the FDA said.

"In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing...




Read More HERE

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting how 2 cases of salmonella can cause a region wide peanut butter recall, yet thousands of illnesses and deaths don’t cause a nationwide vaccine recall…

Anonymous said...

I get that. Trying to stock up myself. While I think it is Jif, mine is only made with peanut butter and palm oil... maybe salt? Anyway, I'll check. Not sure where mine is made... if it is Jif. But I think so. I'd be afraid to send it back, because I'm not sure I'd be able to replace it? Things are really getting tight. Keep up the good work.

Doom

Anonymous said...

Interesting - I'm 2/3 through a jar with a code starting with 1351, so it's within the range. No problems, so I got lucky.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and suddenly we trust the FDA and CDC?

Birdchaser said...

We have 3 jars on the list, 1 is almost gone the rest unopened. The 8 yr old didn't get sick soooo. Guess we'll mark them.

Anonymous said...

Yep I just bought and ate about a 1/4 of a small jar since Friday in those lot numbers. If you hadn't posted this I would not have known. So far no ill effect.

TRIB said...

use them as barter

P n E said...

Sadly, I have lost all trust in anything coming from the Feds. This recall of Jif means nothing to me, absolutely nothing.

Robert17 said...

I just threw away a jar, thanks for the heads up. It mostly was treated out to the puppers anyway. My unvaxxed immune system will get a breather heading into monkey pox season.