90 Miles From Tyranny : Savage Axis 308

infinite scrolling

Friday, February 8, 2013

Savage Axis 308



I am a gun enthusiast.  I am no expert by any means.  I tend to do a lot of internet research before I make a gun purchase since I have no family or friends that know anything about guns.  I have been very happy with my gun purchases to this date.

For long range, accurate, inexpensive "Target Practice" with a caliber large enough to kill larger game, I have long decided on a Savage 308.  I was at Walmart the other day and saw this Savage Axis for $297.00. The price is right, it's a .308 and I have seen good reviews on it.

Any one have any experience with one of these?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My expertise is with semi-auto "fighting guns" (AR15, AK47, Glock, etc.), but I do have a couple bolt guns.

From what I could gather online, this Axis is a good budget rifle. One of the main differences between "budget" rifles and rifles that cost much more is consistency. Most $1000 rifles will shoot great out of the box. Some $300 rifles will shoot just as good, but some wont.

If I were considering this purchase, I'd make sure the stock was a good fit, that the trigger was good, and that the crown was perfect.

If that all checked out, I think a Savage Axis in .308 is a very good value. Everyone should have at least one bolt gun in .308!

Mike Miles said...

Ahhh thanks, from everything I have read, Savage tends to be very accurate out of the box, one of the reasons that I want a Savage...

Herr Wilson said...

Mike, as a gun enthusiast, do you have any suggestions for my next gun purchase?...Kind of a newb with guns...only been an owner for a year...I have a Glock 19, Ruger 22/45 and Remington 870 so far. Obviously ARs are not an option right now.

Mike Miles said...

I got the Glock 19 too, Love it. Some people will hate me for saying this, but I think you need a good pellet gun. Cheap ammo, kills small game, save on more expensive bullets. I think you need .22 in handgun and rifle. FYI, all of my gun decisions are based on prepping/SHTF/TEOTWAWKI.

Herr Wilson said...

Cheers, Mike

Anonymous said...

If you have not purchased the rifle already I think you are much better off buying the Savage 10FP in .308. The trigger is better as is the stock and comes in a heavier barrel. You will not outgrow this rifle http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78301

Brock Townsend said...

Buds is an excellent place to deal with. I notice that it is out of stock currently though.