U.S. and Afghan officials revealed Sunday that the head of ISIS in Afghanistan, Abdul Hasib has been confirmed dead as a result of a joint U.S. and Afghan operation carried out on April 27th. The raid was carried out by 50 U.S. Army Rangers which are part of Army Special Operations and 40 Afghan commandos.
A Pentagon spokesperson previously said that Hasib was most likely killed but there has been no confirmation until now.
Hasib’s predecessor, Hafiz Saeed Khan was killed in a U.S. drone strike.
The 90 troops were dropped by helicopter into Nangarhar Province, close to where the U.S. MOAB, or “mother of all bombs,” was dropped on April 13. Upon landing the Rangers were met with heavy fire and called in air support from drones, Apache helicopters, F-16s and an AC-130. Gen. John Nicholson said in a statement that “This successful joint operation is another important step in our relentless campaign to defeat ISIS-K in 2017,” and continued, ‘This is the second ISIS-K emir we have killed in...Read More HERE